Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience
12176198

In the state of Indiana, can you get a gun permit if you

Customer Question

In the state of Indiana, can you get a gun permit if you have a class D felony, maintaining a common nuisance; since it has nothing to do with battery or any type of violence?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Indiana, and I had a tenant that lived on my 5 acres, but in a different home. He got in some trouble with the law and i gave him a second chance but he manafac. meth on my property so they charged me with maintaing a common nuisance.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean filed or reported?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, he went to prison and I got non reporting probation which i already completed.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 12 days ago.

Hello.

Unfortunately no. You not only cannot get a gun permit, but you cannot possess any type of firearm or ammunition under federal law with a felony conviction. If you do so, you can be charged for that as well.

In order to restore your firearm rights now, you would have to get a pardon from the governor. Mike Pence does not grant very many pardons, but the new governor may...it remains to be seen. Here are the instructions to obtain a pardon in Indiana:

http://www.in.gov/idoc/files/pardonpacket.pdf

Hope this helps.