Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Well my neighbor son video tape my dogs in my property

Well my neighbor son video tape my dogs in my property without my permission because he stated that he suppected animal abuse with is not true and plus he doesn't even live in the hous
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Well he called the police they came and saw that there was nothing going on with the dogs so today he left a letter threatening me to post the video on social media
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well I just want to know my rights

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me where the dogs were when the person recorded them?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
they were in my back yard

Ok, unfortunately from a legal perspective, if the dogs were in your back yard, they are considered "in public" so there is no prohibition on anyone taking photos or video of them while they are outside. If they were inside your house and the person was videotaping, then that is a violation of your privacy rights. But outside, you have no "reasonable expectation of privacy" so it is not illegal to videotape.

.

As for posting the video somewhere, the video is considered the private property of the person who recorded it and as long as they aren't using it to make money, and what they post is truthful, then it is not illegal.

.

However, if he is doing this just to irritate and annoy you, you could have a cause of action to sue him for harassment and seek punitive damages as well as an injunctive order from the judge for him to not have any further contact with you.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you so much for your advised

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time, even if the news is kind of lousy..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating by clicking on the stars, smiley faces, or numbers on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

Have a great afternoon!