Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can auto insurance company cancel insurance without notice?

Customer Question

Can an auto insurance company i.e. Geico cancel without notice? They electronically cancelled my policy which led to the DMV revoking my car registration. DMV sent me the car revoking proof that the insurance company had cancelled. I was driving without insurance for over a month. Geico claims they never cancelled my policy. Not true. DMV assured me that they did in fact cancel. They received the confirmation. Is that illegal? This happened in California.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 days ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
I am sorry to read about your difficulties.
It is not legal for your insurance company to cancel your insurance without notice to you and the reason that the insurance is being cancelled. At this time, you need to first make sure that you have coverage. Then file complaint against the insurer with your State's insurance commissioner. Click here to file your complaint.

Good luck with your case.