Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I want to sue my homeowners insurance provider for illegally

Customer Question

I want to sue my homeowners insurance provider for illegally denying a valid claim and I would like to know how to go about the process and what type of attorney would specialize in this area of law
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 days ago.

The first step is to have your attorney write a demand and notice letter. You can find a lawyer by going to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

The process of a lawsuit is essentially the same everywhere, with a few, minor procedural differences. This is true for all different kinds of lawsuits, including an insurance suit which is usually a breach of contract or a bad faith claim.

A lawsuit generally follows this process:

1) File the petition in the court with jurisdiction and venue. The court with jurisdiction and venue is usually where the defendant resides or has their place of business. You also have to look at the amount you intend to sue for to determine what court is correct

2) When you file the petition with the clerk of courts you will pay the filing fee and also ask for citation to be issued and service to be done. The clerk doesn't serve the papers so ask them if you have to take them to the sheriff's office for service or if they will do it. Just follow their directions as to that.

3) The sheriff will serve the defendant with the lawsuit.

4) The defendant will file their answer.

5) You can then do some discovery if necessary but you will need to check with the clerk and ask if your court allows discovery. Some small claims courts do not.

6) After that the next step is to set the case for trial.

7) During the trial you introduce your evidence and they introduce theirs.

8) The judge renders a judgment and a written order is entered.

That is the basic process of a lawsuit.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.