RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Can I get a liqour license in Escambia county fla if I have

Customer Question

Can I get a liqour license in Escambia county fla if I have a felony
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Florida 1982 pot charge adjudiction of guilt was with held but I don't know if it has been or not
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: That I don't know the judge accepted my plea of no contest and with held adjudication of guilt but I don't know if my lawyer was suppose to do something I did everything the judge order have not been in any trouble since not even a traffic citation. I have a chance to buy a bar that would be the only hold up can't find the correct answer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No mam
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience while I reviewed the applicable statutes and code..

​Florida’s Beverage Law prohibits any person from holding a license at any tier if he or she “has been convicted within the last past 5 years of any offense against the beverage laws of this state, the United States, or any other state; who has been convicted within the last past 5 years in this state or any other state or the United States of soliciting for prostitution, pandering, letting premises for prostitution, or keeping a disorderly place or of any criminal violation of chapter 893 or the controlled substance act of any other state or the Federal Government; or who has been convicted in the last past 15 years of any felony in this state or any other state or the United States ….” Section 561.15, Fla. Stat.

That said, however, it is a discretionary decision made by the government (the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco). They may still require a person to submit evidence to demonstrate that you are of good moral character upon receipt of your application. Section 6 of form ABT-6001 requires to to list any felony conviction and the circumstances, dates, et if it occurred within the last 15 years. You can read what the Division considers under moral character here.

As this happened in 1982, you wouldn't have to answer "yes" to the question, provide an arrest record, or anything like that. Thus, the felony itself does not prohibit you. Does that mean everyone who applies for a licensed gets one, however? No. It's still a discretionary process, but your felony from 3 decades ago is not an issue.

Please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, as that is the only way I am paid for my time, even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Just checking in to see if there was any additional information you needed about this matter? Anything I could clarify about my answer?

If not, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page so that I am credited for my time and assistance. Thank you.