Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I was recently asked by a client to pay for his application

Customer Question

i was recently asked by a client to pay for his application fee. My company will not do so. I cannot find anything that says I cannot do so, however, I'm not sure? Is it legal for me to pay something for my buyer or to give a 'gift' to the buyer and if so, how much is legal. How about giving a gift to his friend who referred him.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 13 days ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What profession are you practicing?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i'm a mortgage specialist.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i was under the impression that it was fine for me to do things for the 'client' even though I am not permitted to give referral fees . I need clarification please
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but generally under RESPA it would be illegal for a mortgage specialist / broker to pay any fees / costs on behalf of the client and also it would be illegal to provide any gifts for the referrals under the RESPA.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Please provide the verbiage and where to find this info in the RESPA law. I do not believe this is fully accurate. I believe mortgage Lenders and brokers can pay fees on behalf of the borrower and I believe gifts can be given. The answer is to general. I need specifics please. Please show me where it says what you ate telling me in the law

Thank you for your follow up.

This service is limited to general information and you should always seek help of a local attorney if you are in need of any legal advice.

Generally, here is the link to the part of the RESPA that prohibits any and all kickbacks, gifts, etc...:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/12/2607

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 days ago.