Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I've been catfish out of $30,000 dollars I live in st. Louis

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I've been catfish out of $30,000 dollars I live in st. Louis and I want to know if I can take legal action? Thank you
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I came across this person who approached on a dating site POF. The so called online relation has been ongoing for 3 plus months. I've have all the text and email commutations and pictures of all wire transfer receipts. I also have a pitures he sent me of his passport aND Missouri drivers license that appear to be fake. He purposed he was in Egypt doing a construction job and told me when he made arrangements for the large equipment tools to be exported from the US into ciaro it didn't include custom fee to release the goods for him to get ownership and he needed the money to pay customs so he could start the job to complete the construction job in 3 months contracted time frame and begged me to help him so he could get back to Arnold, Mo so we could start our life together.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Dwayne, based on the information provided can I take legal action to catch this person who catfished me, cyberbullied me and impersonated himself as someone else.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 days ago.

Your question was: I want to know if I can take legal action?

The answer to that is "Yes". You can contact the government agency IC3 at the following website: https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

That is the agency which has been set up to handle internet crime. They will make sure the report gets to the correct officers.

In addition, you can file a civil suit but, 1) realistically, it will be very hard to locate the person to sue them, 2) bringing a lawsuit against a person in another country is very difficult, expensive, and time consuming because you have to follow the treaties that we have with that country or, if there is no treaty, you have to follow the rules of the Hague Convention, and 3) it will be even harder to collect a judgment from him if you do find him, since many of the countries make it hard to collect judgments.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 days ago.

In addition, many agencies won't pursue the case because they have to prove fraud and that is a difficult burden when the crook is in another country.