Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I'm a RN in the Psych/ED. I was assaulted. The pt punched me

Customer Question

I'm a RN in the Psych/ED. I was assaulted. The pt punched me in the face (closed fisted). I have swelling above my right eye and required 6 stitches. I did press charges. They told me it was assault 3, not the more serious charge assault 2. I want to know if I can file restraining order against him so he can not be brought to us when I'm on. There are two other hospitals the pt can go to.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

If charges have been pressed, you shouldn't have to bring an action for a separate restraining order. When the defendant comes before the judge, on this type of a case, in my experience the prosecutor will ask for a restraining order. Typically, it will keep the complainant from you, your home, and your workplace.

You're the complainant on the case, and you can call the prosecutor's office, find out the name and extension number of the DA who is prosecuting your assailant and make sure that a protective order will be forthcoming and that extend to your workplace.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

If you require additional information, please post your follow up here on this question thread, and I’ll be happy to provide it.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.