Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I had question my bill was paid a year ago suddenly i sent

Customer Question

i had question my bill was paid a year ago suddenly i sent all the papers to the civil court to file a claim i told me i was owed the money .so what can i do
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Expert:  Legalease replied 16 days ago.

Hello there ---

-

Just to clarify this situation, you are being brought to court for a bill that you have already paid in full and you have cancelled checks that prove you paid the bill in full?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
can i sue the collector because they r wrong , why bills were paid they are sued me unpaid bill
Expert:  Legalease replied 16 days ago.

Hello there --

-

You can file a countersuit against them for any losses that you suffer because they are still bringing you to court on a matter that has already been paid. The countersuit can be heard by the court on Dec 8 with the original court case. My suggestion here is that you get a form motion from the court (clerk's office) and complete it as a Motion for counterclaim and then come up with a reasonable amount of money that this has cost you (such as if you lose a day of pay to attend the court hearing on Dec 8 -- add that into the total also) and submit the motion to the court by Dec 1, 2016 and the court will consider your claim along with dismissing their claim when you show the receipts / cancelled checks to the court. If you do not bring a countersuit on Dec 8, you can still countersue them afterward for bringing the case against you but it will be difficult to get any punitive (punishment) damages for this out of them and the court will limit you to receiving back any money that you have actually lost while trying to sort out these matters (such as lost wages and time spent dealing with the company).

-

I do suggest that you make sure you appear on Dec 8 with your proof and ask the court for a dismissal of the case. There should be no problems with that at the court. Then, if you have not already filed a countersuit you can do so after the hearing if you still choose to do so at that time.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section before leaving the website so that I will be given credit for assisting you today? I do not receive credit for giving you my assistance unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above. I genuinely appreciate it !! And, Best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving !!!

-

MARY

Expert:  Legalease replied 11 days ago.

Hello there --

-

I note that you viewed my answer above a few days ago and have not asked any additional questions. If you have further questions on this issue can you please let me know what those questions are? If you have no additional questions, can you please press a positive rating in the RATING section above these messages on your screen? I am paid nothing by Just Answer and I am given absolutely no credit for helping you and answering your question unless you press a positive rating in the rating section above. So long as you press the middle rating button or the fourth or fifth rating button to the right of the middle rating button, Just Answer will pay me and give me credit for assisting you with this question and answer session. THANK YOU VERY MUCH and BEST WISHES FOR A HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON !!

-

MARY