Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I own my home in escambia county, florida and want to know

Customer Question

I own my home in escambia county, florida and want to know if the code ordanance laws allow my son to live in a travel trailer on my property. He is using my electricity and water as of now.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?
Customer: This is in Pensacola, Florida and escambia county--the trailer is a 30ft 2005 sunny brook.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Someone told me that it was against the law for him to reside in the travel trailer on my property that I own more than 14 days or temporary.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Expert:  Legalease replied 10 days ago.

Hello there --

-

I researched the Pensacola FL ordinances for you to find an answer. The local code permits you to park a recreational vehicle in your yard with certain placement restrictions AND a restriction that only electricity may be hooked up to the recreational vehicle. The ordinance also states that no one can live in the recreational vehicle while it is on your property (basically, you can store such vehicles but you are not supposed to use them for residential living purposes). The ordinance that applies is Section 11-2-35 -- here is a link to the actual ordinance so that you can read it for yourself -- http://www.ci.pensacola.fl.us/416/Code-of-Ordinances Specifically, you should scroll down to 11-2-35 Section 2, subsections (c) and (d) which state that a recreational trailer or vehicle

"(c) Shall not be used for living, sleeping or housekeeping purposes while stored on a residential premises.

(d)Shall not be connected to any utilities except electricity. "

-

My suggestion here is that you try to make it look like your son lives in your house and not the trailer. You have the right to store the trailer on your property for an unlimited period of time -- but no one is supposed to be living in it. So, when asked, simply state that he is "storing" it on your property. This will buy you some time if he needs it to make other arrangements.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section before leaving the website so that I will be given credit for assisting you today? I do not receive credit for giving you my assistance unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above. I genuinely appreciate it !! And, Best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving !!!

-

MARY

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have read the ordinance information you gave me concerning the question "I own my home in escambia county, florida and want to know if the code ordanance laws(for zone2 escambia co--single family residence)allow my son to live in a travel trailer on my property. He is using my electricity and water as of now. This is in Escambia Florida, the rv is a 2005 Sunnybrook,30ft w/a slide out. The information that you sent to me was for the CITY OF PENSACOLA, FLORIDA(HTTP://WWW.CI.PENSACOLA.FLUS/416/cODE-OF-oRDINANCES) THIS IS WHER i WENT TO READ 11-2-35 Section 2 subsections c & d. Another attorney from your justanswer(K. Dimetry)stated "There is nothing in state law or code that prevents him from doing so. Make sure there is no trespass or nuisance to others." WHICH ATTORNEY IS TELLING WHAT IS THE TRUTH?
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 days ago.

Hello there -

-

Your original question states that you are in Pensacola (please review it). Are you within the city of Pensacola? If not, exactly what city or town in Escambia county are you located in. And, I just checked the link that I gave to you above for Pensacola. If you go back to my answer and double click on it, it should take you to the Pensacola Ordinances -- if indeed that is what applies.

-

If you tell me your city or town I am happy to check to see if there are any specific ordinances that apply in that city or town. I am a little suspicious of the answer of my colleague (the other expert) if they did not actually check the ordinances in the town or city and the county -- and I also have a lot of specialized experience reading and working with local building and zoning codes -- many lawyers do not (please be aware that even if there is nothing at the county level, if there IS an ordinance in your city or town, then that city ordinance is what must be obeyed). That is not to say my colleague is not correct -- but I am willing to check it based upon your EXACT city or town AND location. I would truly be surprised in Florida if there is absolutely NO regulations on this subject because having someone park a house travel trailer on a lot is more common in a state like FL than it is in northern states.

-

So, as I said, I am very happy to check on this further for you if you can tell me EXACTLY where your property is located (TOWN or CITY). And, if there is such an ordinance, I will actually copy and paste it into my answer so you do not have to try to find it through a link. If the Pensacola ordinance I referred you to is actually the applicable ordinance, then I will copy and paste it into my answer.

-

-

MARY