Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I have a manager who calls me gay says he had sex with my

Customer Question

I have a manager who calls me gay says he had sex with my mom sister and girlfriend doesnt tell me of buissness oppurtunities also told me he wants 10% of my bizness to find me an employee. Also takes my employee i foynd and gave it to another contractor
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I reported it to anorher manager. He told me if its such a harsh work inviroment i should just sell out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I got 10 pages of stories of what hes done
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Expert:  Legalease replied 16 days ago.

Hello there --

-

It sounds to me like you are being sexually harassed on your job by a manager and the other managers at your place of employment are not taking it seriously. You see, employment laws in general are not very employee friendly -- unless you have a union contract then you are legally what is called an "employee at will" -- which means that you are employed at the will and whim of the employer and you can be terminated at any time for any reason or for no reason at all. The only restrictions on this are our laws against discrimination and sexual harassment in the workplace. If you can show that you are being discriminated against by your company in an atmosphere that is making you sexually uncomfortable (such as calling you gay and making sexual remarks about your mother and your girlfriend) then you have a valid complaint against your manager and your company for violations of the Civil Rights Act -- which complaint you can make to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) in your state. The EEOC will investigate (they have the legal power to come into your company or summons people from your company to give statements) and if they find in your favor, the company will be fined and you will be given a settlement for past monetary losses you have suffered. Even if they do not find in your favor you are protected from termination for a year after the conclusion of the investigation (if they terminate you during that year, you can sue them for violating your right to seek legal action against them). Here is a link to the EEOC where you can get information, instructions and forms to file a complaint online against your company:

https://www.eeoc.gov/field/denver/charge.cfm

-

Believe it or not, you have more legal recourse with the sexual harassment charges here than with any charges of stealing your employee or business -- the law does not give you protection from those things happening to you unless you have a specific written contract with the employer that states that you have these rights. Your best course of action is to pursue the claim with the EEOC as I suggest above because I do believe that you will have success with it.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section before leaving the website so that I will be given credit for assisting you today? I do not receive credit for giving you my assistance unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above. I genuinely appreciate it !! And, Best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving !!!

-

MARY

Expert:  Legalease replied 10 days ago.

Hello there --

-

I note that you viewed my answer above a few days ago and have not asked any additional questions. If you have further questions on this issue can you please let me know what those questions are? If you have no additional questions, can you please press a positive rating in the RATING section above these messages on your screen? I am paid nothing by Just Answer and I am given absolutely no credit for helping you and answering your question unless you press a positive rating in the rating section above. So long as you press the middle rating button or the fourth or fifth rating button to the right of the middle rating button, Just Answer will pay me and give me credit for assisting you with this question and answer session. Pressing a positive rating will NOT cost you additional money and has nothing to do with any other offers that Just Answer may have sent to you via email. THANK YOU VERY MUCH and BEST WISHES FOR A HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON !!

-

MARY