Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

A friend's husband was one of the 400 litigants in the

Customer Question

A friend's husband was one of the 400 litigants in the individual federal fl lawsuits against several tobacco companies. They reached a settlement for all 400 litigants and we're put in tiers as to the injuries suffered. Her husband and died a week later in part of injuries suffered, when she contacted the attorneys of his passing they said it changed his case to wrongful death. Wouldn't that put it in a higher tier worth more money? The settlement was his only asset and has been in probate for almost 2 years. Why is the courts holding this woman and miner child they adopted together many years before money. They are struggling to make ends meet
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 16 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your friend's difficulties. Unfortunately, our Court system works very slowly. She would need to take up her concerns to the law firm handling the case. Since her case is now a wrongful death case, the firm should give her an idea what her case is now worth and when the issue would be finally resolved. The law firm should be filing Motion to expedite the matter in light of her circumstances.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,