Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

Seeking assistance with air tickets purchased with MAS for a

Customer Question

seeking assistance with air tickets purchased with MAS for a recent trip too malaysia. I purchased the tickets on line and paid with my credit card. A few days later I was invited to bid for an upgrade toBusiness class -which I did. This upgrade was accepted. On the day of travel my wife and I checked in, lodged our baggage, but, were pulled off the flight at the boarding gate because my wife's passport did not have 6 months remaining validity I tried to reschedule on a later flight and was told that not only could I not transfer my ticket, i had also lost the upgrade funds. My issue is that MAS knew of the passport expiry dates when I initially made the booking - then subsequently invited me to upgrade etc. I've lost a lot of money. I did write to the CEO of MAS requesting his assistance, but never got any response. Where do I go from here?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in melbourne, Victoria, and the tickets were to KL, malaysia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing aside from my letter to the CEO of MAS. I was hoping he would step in, but I haven't even received an acknowledgement (it was sent by overseas registered mail).
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The visit was to attend the wedding our our foster daughter - we missed out on the wedding because of this delay (although we arrived in time for the reception).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question that I can answer for you about the situation you have described in your post?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am keen to understand what options I have to progress my issue with Malaysia Airlines. As explained, I have written tot he CEO asking he intervene but have not received a response. I believe that MAS knew that my wife passport had less that 6 months validity at the time I made the booking, they accepted the payment, and then subsequently offered us the opportunity to bid for an upgrade - which we did and they accepted. Then, to be off loaded at the boarding gate, and not offer refunds of both the airfares and upgrade costs is disingenuous.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, it is always up to the airline customer to make sure that the customers are in compliance with the airline and/or foreign country requirements for the validity of the passport / expiration date and unfortunately, generally, if the customer has failed to comply with such requirements, then the airline would not be legally liable for any loss of fare or any other losses and most airlines have this rules stated in their terms and conditions.

Unfortunately, the fact that airline might have been aware of the issue and didn't issue advance warning / notice about the issue would not have any legal significance either in similar situation.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and good luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.