Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I have defaulted on a title loan because the payments were

Customer Question

I have defaulted on a title loan because the payments were too high. I don't know what to do
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Florida, Oct.21, 2016
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No they looking for my car. I took the title loan out to finish paying for College it's been I know 2 years I been paying
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Florida has imposed a rate cap on title loans. The maximum interest rate for a title loan in Florida is 30 percent APR for the first $2,000, 24 percent APR for loans between $2,000 and $3,000, and 18 percent APR for loans exceeding $3,000.

If your lender has charged a higher interest rate, it has to refund the excess interest paid, return the car, and forfeit the principal amount of the loan. Here is the law: 537.011 Title loan charges.

The other option is to try to buy the car back at the auction since you can bid on your own car.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating