Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am having a problem with my Thyroid Doctor. He is supposed

Customer Question

I am having a problem with my Thyroid Doctor. He is supposed to renew my medication and he is not contacting the pharmacy or returning either the pharmacy's and my calls. I have to take a Synthroid pill every single day. Today is Tuesday and I have been trying to contact them since Friday. What can I do ?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No So I have been calling and the pharmacy has been calling finally just now they call me and they say that I have to go in. This doctor has seen me once only He did no email me or mail me my test reults So I had to go in and get a photocopy of my results
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Blood work was also a painful procedure over there. He did not discuss my results or tell me I had to go in again at this date. There has been no correspondence or phone calls or even a text message Now I have to renew my presciption which btw I have been trying since Friday and today when I am out of pills they are saying I have to go in
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: They need to be punished because now I will suffer because of their negligence
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is basicly it
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us about this matter?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I I am having a problem with my Thyroid Doctor. He is supposed to renew my medication and he is not contacting the pharmacy or returning either the pharmacy's and my calls. I have to take a Synthroid pill every single day. Today is Tuesday and I have been trying to contact them since Friday. I Live in California So I have been calling and the pharmacy has been calling finally just now they call me and they say that I have to go in. This doctor has seen me once only He did no email me or mail me my test reults So I had to go in and get a photocopy of my results Blood work was also a painful procedure over there. He did not discuss my results or tell me I had to go in again at this date. There has been no correspondence or phone calls or even a text message Now I have to renew my prescription which btw I have been trying since Friday and today when I am out of pills they are saying I have to go in They need to be punished because now I will suffer because of their negligence . So I want to learn what can be done to punish this doctor due to his negligence?
Thank you for your reply.
For what you have described at this point above, you do not have any basis for any legal action against the doctor under CA law. Under the CA law, in order to have a civil suit against the doctor, you have to prove you suffered actual harm, which up to this point you have not.
What you have up to this point is a case of negligence in their care and it is a complaint that violates the medical board rules and it is a basis for you filing a complaint with the CA State Medical Board who will investigate and sanction the doctor for not informing patients of test results and not scheduling appointments to renew medications. The doctors may legally insist a patient come to the office personally to get their prescriptions refilled, so him refusing to call in refills is not a violation, but he can insist you show up at the office to get a refill.
I would suggest if you want to punish him that you file a complaint with the state medical board, but once you do you need to be prepared because he would then have to terminate you as a patient and you need to find another doctor.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.