How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 101324
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Basically, I would like to know if there is any kind of

Customer Question

Basically, I would like to know if there is any kind of agreement that could be drawn up to hold my boyfriend to his statement that if we move across the country and things don't work out before marriage, he will assist me financially, if need be, to move back home. He is active duty military and we plan to marry, but he wants to move first, before marriage, so we can make sure I am "cut out" for the military spouse life.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am a Florida, but w are living in Georgia (Kings Bay), he is a Louisiana resident and we would be moving to Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, this is just something I'm curious about. When I voice my concerns, he says he would have no problem helping me financially move back to Florida if I needed it. But you never know how things are going to play out in a situation until it comes around
JA: I'm trying to find the right Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that about covers it. Thank you
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It is feasible to create such an agreement. However, it would be a civil contract, enforceable in civil (non-family) court. It would have to be worded very carefully, ensuring that:

-it states "for valuable consideration," and

-that it does not have anything in it that can trigger an unconscionabily defense.

So yes, this is possible. However, it is recommended that an attorney draft such an agreement to ensure that it is held up in Court.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!