Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

A little over a year ago, my new wife and I went on our

Customer Question

good morning. A little over a year ago, my new wife and I went on our honeymoon aboard a cruiseship. During the course of the 7 day cruise, we spent an evening at one of their restaurants during which time my wife sustained 2nd degree burns on her back when a server dropped hot soup on her. We retained an attorney when we returned home with the intent of suing the cruise line. Now, during the preparations, my wife was in constant contact with the attorney and asked on several occasions how much time we had to start the proceedings.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The attorney kept replying that we had up to 3 years to file out petition against the cruise line. About a month ago, he finally contacted them and was advised that the statute of limitations ran out (we discovered that, according to maritime law, the statue is up in a year's time). Of course, we're seeing this now as an issue of legal malpractice. We have the option of either settling with the attorney or initiation a lawsuit against him. This isn't a real estate matter.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes, there were medical reports issued while still on the cruise. There was also an investigation by their (the cruiseline's) security dept while we were still aboard
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That my wife has scarring on her back (granted, its not as bad as it once was), but she went thru several painful laser treatments to relieve the issue....she also went thru the emotional trauma of not having been able to enjoy her honeymoon a the time. And now, cannot even bring action against the cruise line because the attorney neglected to explore any differences between maritime law and laws in the states.
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

What state is the lawyer in here? And has the lawyer offered any settlement.How long has it been since the
SOL expired?