Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Anything I can do after being served eviction notice? Not

Customer Question

Anything I can do after being served eviction notice ?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure what you're asking. Judgment was issued, I paid in full, two days later. Notice was served today. Currently owe nothing but judgment was already rendered. Eviction date is 10 days from now.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Unfortunately, if the judgment has already been issued against you, then unless you have legal grounds to appeal the decision, paying the amount owed wouldn't cancel the judgment or prevent the landlord from evicting you if he really wants to do so.

.

However, evicting a tenant is expensive and a pain because the landlord has to go in, clean up, make repairs and upgrades and then lose a few month's rent trying to find a new tenant.

.

So if you can pay the landlord everything he is out....back rent, late fees, court costs, etc., then he may consider allowing you to stay if you talk to him because finding a new tenant is a hassle and the landlord really only wants his money.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks