Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We just received a notice that said our application for

Customer Question

We just received a notice that said our application for Temporary Cash Assistance was denied due to "The law that supports this action is:
(FL Admin. Code = R) (FL Statute = S), R65A-4.220" and are trying to find out which law defines "too much income" because the only income we are currently receiving is unemployment which only pays $275/week (maximum amount) and have a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children).
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm not sure I'm following you... What do you mean by "anything?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 days ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

See Florida Statutes Chapter 414 Section 414.085. Also see current federal poverty guidelines.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok but all you did was confirm that we should have been approved because we are WELL BELOW 100% poverty level, much less than the 185% than the FL statute link you provided states is required. So am I missing something? His maximum unemployment benefit amount is $3,300 (period) and only receives $133/month for VA benefits. Even if you included the $590/month food stamp money that we were approved for, we are STILL well below the 100% poverty income level for a family of 5. So am I missing something or did they miscalculate? Is it *possible* that we could be denied based on the sole fact that PRIOR to his layoff he made well above the 185% poverty income level cited? Certainly not, right??

You asked a specific question. I answered it. I am not sure what else I can do. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor opted out.
If you meet the statutory guideline for being below the poverty level required for assistance, then you need to go in person to the welfare office locally with your documentation and your letter and ask them to recalculate your eligibility.
They have to look at all of your assets as well as income and bank accounts to determine the eligibility, so bring your financial records with you so you can file your appeal for benefits with them.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.