Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My sister passed away at age 64 in May 2013 being diagnosed

Customer Question

Hello. My sister passed away at age 64 in May 2013 being diagnosed with a stroke. However, right before she died she complained of massive stomach pains. The doctor said she was bleeding internally. They had given her a blood thinner prior to her stomach pains and I suspect that is what truly killed her. Her husband refuses to pursue this and I was told from another source that he would have to be the one to sign for the release of her medical records. As her brother, is there anything I can do to file a claim against the doctor or hospital or pharmaceutical company? Thank you.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sincerely ***** ***** your loss. I do appreciate your frustration that your sister was not properly cared for and that her husband is not seeking accountability on the part of those who may be responsible.

I wish that I could give you the information that you want to hear, but to do that I would have to mislead you.

As her brother you have no legal standing to bring an action on behalf of your sister (unless you happen to be the Executor of her Estate). Only her spouse (or children if she had no spouse) could bring the wrongful death action or claim against those who may be responsible for her death.

I appreciate that this is not what you want to hear, but it is the cold reality.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

See this article for more detailed information.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/wrongful-death-lawsuits-georgia.html

Kind regards,

Gerald