Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

In oregon When in a auto accident ,as the injured party

Customer Question

In oregon
When in a auto accident ,as the injured party whose car was totaled, is the at fault party's insurance required to pay for a rental car and for how long
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 15 days ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licnesed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Typically, where the car is deemed a total loss, the insurance company would resist paying for a rental car since the damaged vehicle is not being repaired. It is, instead, essentially being "purchased". Therefore, there is no loss of use during the repair period, since there is no repair.

That is not to say that you can not try to negotiate a rental car for a short period while you secure a new replacement car. Just be ready for push-back from the adjuster.

Expert:  Loren replied 15 days ago.

Otherwise, you would just need to argue the value of the totaled car is higher and try to make it up on that side.

Expert:  Loren replied 15 days ago.

Are you online with me?