LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Is a widow responsible for deceased medical bills?

Customer Question

Submitted: 17 days ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 17 days ago.

Good afternoon Janet,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

All states have laws that requires that one spouse is legally responsible for the medical expense of the other spouse---whether they are living or deceased.

And if your husband died with outstanding medical bills, his estate is legally obligated to pay those bills. Because the widow(er) is normally the one to get the estate of their deceased spouse, that makes them responsible for the medical bill.

If your husband has health insurance or Medicare you will want to make sure that the bills were submitted for payment to the insurance or Medicare. But out of pocket expenses and deductible will legally be your responsibility to pay. The only way to avoid having to pay would be for you to file for bankruptcy protection.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 17 days ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. You can request a call by clicking on the "Call Me" button on your page.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug