Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I have questions about a rental property in CT, no, no

Customer Question

I have questions about a rental property in CT
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 19 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What can you tell me about your situation?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi, I have a house in CT. I bought it 7y ago, with a girlfriend. Both names are ***** ***** deed. I own 90%.She has rented the property without my consent and is taking all the cash. I am attempting to get the tenants to either move out, or begin paying the lease to me.My current plan is to go to the property, meet with them, get a copy of the lease. If there's not much time left, I would convince them not to resign. What can I do if there's a few years left.Also, after they move out, my plan is to move my mother in there to box out the Ex. And then use this to negotiate with her to buy out the property. As she is now gaining the full rent, negotiations are not possible.Assuming there's a long time left on the lease. I can offer to buy them out? Or can I also offer to pay them to resign the lease with me as the landlord. Perhaps at a lower rent. Would this be legally possible without the Ex agreeing to it?I'd like this all to happen quickly without the Ex knowing about it to make it easier.

I'm sorry to hear that.

There isn't anything in the law that specifically stops one owner from renting real estate over the other's objection. You have a right to bring an action against your ex-girlfriend, seeking a court order that the property be sold. Any money received would be split 90/10, and the property would transfer subject to the lease. The other option is to sue her for depriving you of the right to use the property by renting it out without your consent.

But there unfortunately isn't any action you can take against tenants with a valid lease. If you induced them to break it, she could sue you for intentional interference with contract.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 18 days ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?