ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Is it illegal for narcotics agents to allow confidential

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: is it illegal for narcotics agents to allow confidential informants to trespass on someones property to obtain information ?
JA: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the lawyer's and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems.
Customer: how can i see the answer ?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Mississippi and Alabama its a question for a friends research
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: b
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I believe so
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

No, it is not illegal, in that there's no law that says that it's a crime. Now if the agent were to compel the CI to trespass, then that could make the agent / agency culpable for a joint crime. It could also result in an exclusion of any evidence. That is, where the CI is himself an "agent" (in an agent / principal relationship, rather than an employee of the agency) and being directed by the principal to do something, then it's as though the principal himself is acting. And if it results in evidence that is procured without "probable cause", then it could be excluded from the trial for that fact. But if it was "allowed" that the CI would do this, but not compelled, then it's not the agency telling or commanding the CI to do this, rather it's the CI's own volition that does it, and would be allowed into court. Likewise, it's not illegal because the agency didn't do anything. It doesn't have an obligation to STOP illegal activity that it knows is going to happen (see the US Supreme Court Castle Rock case).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 11 days ago.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

It was my pleasure assisting you. Again, I NEED you to rate this answer on your screen.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

Hello?

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 10 days ago.