Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am a 88 yr old widow who rents an apartment. My problem is

Customer Question

I am a 88 yr old widow who rents an apartment. My problem is that four college kids have rented the apartment above me. They have been excessive in their noise making.(Drilling, hammering and dropping things ) enough to shake the building causing a picture to fall from the wall. They keep this up until two and three in the morning. The management has sent them notices which they ignore. They have now taken over my parking spot that I pay rent for. True, I dont use it all the time as I dont own a car. But my daughter parks there to take me grocery shopping, doctor appts etc. Dial a bus also picks me up there as well so I dont have to go out into the street to get in the vehicle
Management does nothing about it. They send notices but again the notices are ignored and the continue to use my parking space as well as making as much noise as possible
It sounds like they build furniture or something and are rolling or moving the furniture across the floors. I have no idea what they are actually doing up there. Do I have any kind of recourse?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, you do have rights. You have a legal right to quiet enjoyment and the use of your rental property. If it is being disturbed and the landlord does not take any action to remedy it, after the letters are sent to them, you could have a right to vacate the rental and sue them for damages. If you are forced to leave as a result of the noise and issue with parking and they refuse to fix it, this could be viewed as you being forced from your rental. They have a duty to prevent this and they should be evicting those people for breaching the lease agreement. If they do not and you end up moving you can sue them for costs/damages.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!