Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Just had a Paramedic tell me on the way to the hospital that

Customer Question

Hello!! Just had a Paramedic tell me on the way to the hospital that now WA state requires registration for Service Dogs. I do not believe that the law changed to require this, but
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. He just did not like that my Service Dog had a Vest when he claimed that State Law now requires that they r registered.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

That isn't correct. WA state doesn't require that a service animal be registered but it does require that a service animal be trained and certified, which may be what the paramedic is thinking about.

The code section that defines what a service animal is can be found at http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=70.84.021 and it doesn't say anything about a service animal being registered.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Dwayne,
I thought the paramedic was incorrect, but he made it sound as if there was a NEW law requiring registration of SErvice Dogs in WA State

No, that link I gave you has the up to date laws. It is possible that there is a bill pending that hasn't been enacted into law yet but it won't be Constitutional if passed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No need to call me. Guess u have replied to my ?.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanx, Nona

You're very welcome. If you got an email about a telephone call that is sent by the website, not me.

PLease don't forget to leave a positive rating so I receive credit for answering.