Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I had several student a federal secured student loan in

Customer Question

Good Morning!
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I had several student a federal secured student loan in starting in 1999. I had to defer the loan in 2004 due to divorce. I filled for chapter 13 in 2004. I had a collection agency contact me however I pulled all 3 of my credit reports and it has a zero balance. I don't know what to do.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Delaware
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Wilmington
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The collection agency is calling my job however they do not appear on my credit report. The gentlemen is also calling my employer.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you are not going to like the news on this. Federal student loans never go away. They have no statute of limitations and cannot be extinguished in bankruptcy. Even though they may not appear on your credit reports, you are going to owe repayment and they can continue to pursue you to collect on those loans, including seeking to garnish wages or even seize your social security for non-payment. So you are going to have to come up with some way to deal with them to settle the loans. You need to call them and you need to work to negotiate some settlement and if they refuse to settle with you, then it is worth the expense to hire a local consumer protection attorney to negotiate a payoff for you to stop them from continuing to pursue you.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.