LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My neighbors have threatened to "pop a cap in my" if I call

Customer Question

My neighbors have threatened to "pop a cap in my ass" if I call the police or animal control on them and last night I had no choice but to call now my children are frightened the police said "they have the right to freedom of speech" but what about my right to pursuit of happiness?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Last night their pit bull jumped my fence but this is not the first confrontation with them it has been going on for a year But last night she screamed and cussed at my 12yr old Hillsborough county fl
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I called the police and animal control I am still waiting for animal control to show up and it took 1 and a half hours before the police came
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: this dog has bitten me and one of my friends in the past and the lady regulalry screams obscenities at me and my kids
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. If the animal has bitten you and one of your friends in the past, the two incidents combined could be enough for animal control to remove the dog from the home. Moreover, if the dog is jumping the fence and possess a risk of harm, based upon its history, the owners could not only be cited for the dog getting out and not securing it but the actions of the animal. The owner would also be liable for any damages which the dog causes, since it knows and is aware of its propensities. Your neighbor should not be making threats of shooting you either and the police should at least speak with them regarding this because it is being done to intimidate you and prevent you from calling the police, which you have a legal right to do.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the police did speak to them but they said there's nothing that they can do they're allowed to threaten and intimidate us under their rights freedom of speech Act

I disagree. However, if the police will not take any action regarding that, you can proceed through the court and try and get a restraining / protective order against them.