legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I had my baby three months ago, when I came back from the

Customer Question

I had my baby three months ago, when I came back from the hospital, there were bed bugs. My house is really clean and free of clutter
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: But the office doesn't believen us, I even brought in a bed bug and they sent an exterminator and it didn't work. They never checked up or cared at all. I had to throw away everything but a week's worth of clothes because I'm only 19 and. Struggling financially as it is. Plus a newborn.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have sentered multiple complaints and I called two weeks ago to send the exterminator again and she told me I never asked to be out on the list
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Congratulations on your baby and being a mother!
So fortunately, a landlord has to maintain a unit that complies with the warranty of habitability, implied in every lease.
Vermin and insects render a unit not habitable. Here is that code:
38-12-505. Uninhabitable residential premises. (1) A residential premises is deemed uninhabitable if it substantially lacks any of the following characteristics:

(a) Waterproofing and weather protection of roof and exterior walls maintained in good working order, including unbroken windows and doors;

(b) Plumbing or gas facilities that conformed to applicable law in effect at the time of installation and that are maintained in good working order;

(c) Running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times furnished to appropriate fixtures and connected to a sewage disposal system approved under applicable law;

(d) Functioning heating facilities that conformed to applicable law at the time of installation and that are maintained in good working order;

(e) Electrical lighting, with wiring and electrical equipment that conformed to applicable law at the time of installation, maintained in good working order;

(f) Common areas and areas under the control of the landlord that are kept reasonably clean, sanitary, and free from all accumulations of debris, filth, rubbish, and garbage and that have appropriate extermination in response to the infestation of rodents or vermin;

(g) Appropriate extermination in response to the infestation of rodents or vermin throughout a residential premises;

If the tenant gives written notice of these conditions, the landlord is required to
correct the condition within a reasonable time, and in accordance with health and building
Codes. If the landlord fails to so correct the problems, the tenant can give a second written
notice, after which he may be able to leave the property without penalty, ask the courts to order
the landlord to make the corrections, and/or withhold rent until the correction is made.
The landlord can be liable for the difference in the rent per the lease, and the rent with a new unit, if higher, along with associated moving costs.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly

-Rate Positively-

This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

No attorney client relationship is created as this is general legal information, not advice; and a personal attorney should be hired if one wishes specific legal advice for their personal situation.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!