Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

How far back does a bank keep account records. I am in a

Customer Question

How far back does a bank keep account records. I am in a divorce litigation and the attorney wants to subpoena my accounts from the last 20 years, does a banlkhave that information/
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Under the FDIC rules, creditors like banks are only required to retain records for 25 months. But they normally will retain records up to 7 years, as that is the same period of time that credit entries remain on a person's credit report..

.

So there is very little chance that they would have records older than 7 years..

.

But with regard to the subpoena, you can't provide what you don't have or can't get. So you only have to give them what you personally have or what you can request from the bank under their records retention policy.

.

.

thanks