Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Is there a statute of limitation on an collecting a

Customer Question

is there a statute of limitation on an collecting a inheritance from parents
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I,m in R.I. parents lived and died in Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not to my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I,m the only living child,but estrangedfor the past 15 yrs.after my mother died my father remarried and just recently found out he died 18 m0nths ago
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, if the estate has closed, it is too late to challenge the distribution of the estate.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Likewise, if the estate representative defrauded you, statute of limitations is one year. So, that has expired, as well.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.