ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

This is the first time I am using this site. Can I ask a

Customer Question

hello, this is the first time I am using this site. Can I ask a question regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act on this site?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What I am looking for is advice regarding applying for a job, and if it is recommended for a person to identify themself as having a disability during the application and/or interview process
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

That's difficult to say. If it's obvious then it's a good idea to do so, as it could be explanatory, but otherwise it's likely better not to disclose it (as there's no obligation to do so) during the application / interview process and only do so afterwards. The point is that they can't discriminate against you based upon a disability, can't ask you about it in the application / interview process, and if they discriminate against you afterwards for not disclosing it, that alone would still be a violation of the ADA. If it were me, I would not disclose it because there's a better chance of it working against you rather than for you.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!