Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Second opinion] - Last year I was arrested for battery with

Customer Question

Second opinion] - Last year I was arrested for battery with a deadly weapon. Mu ex-boyfriend ex girl friend made a report against me stating that I hit her with my car. The police never called me to hear my side of the story or anything. They issued a bench warrant for my arrestinthe amount of $275,000. I picked upmy children from school 2 months after and my vehicle was surrounded with 5 unmarked cars and 2 Broward County Sheriff cars with guns drawn to me and my children's heads ages 4,7,and 8 at the time. They arrested me, but when I asked why I am being arrested they never said. They never read me my rights when they handcuffed me and they told me when I get to the station I'll speak to a detective who would inform me on why I am being arrested. When I got to the station the detective told me that my ex boyfriend's ex girl friend filed a report stating I hit her with my burgundy nissan murano. I told the detective that it was not true at all. I told her that The guy who was driving the car is my ex boyfriend's best friend and they both always work on my car. I told her that I saw his car and called my ex boyfriend to see if he can patch or plug my tire because there was a nail. My ex boyfriend said that his best friend which is the same guy just called him and told him that he see me so he asked him if he can plug my tire and his best friend said yes just follow him and he'll plug it for me. So I did. His best friend dropped another friend off at the car shop, got something from the same guy and drove off no one else got out the vehicle nor did it look like anyone was in the vehicle. He then pulled up to a house and parked so I pulled up in front of him remaining in the street but in front of the adjacent house to where he was parked. My ex boyfriend ex girlfriend got out . I saw her through my rear view mirror. She started walking towards my vehicle throwing her hands up so I just drove off. I then went to pick my children up from school. My car at the time was a dark purple Nissan Rogue can be mistaken for black. When I was dating my ex boyfriend and me and this young lady met I had a burgundy Kia Spectra. So she told police I hit her with a burgundy Nissan Murano. I pulled up in front of my ex boyfriend best friend car at the neighboring house adjacent to the house he stopped at so they should have been able to identify my vehicle as either dark purple or black as most people do Nissan rogue. Not only that I had 3% tints all around my vehicle and 30% on the windshield. So there was no way for anyone to see inside my vehicle at all. She told police I had a country flag inside my vehicle which I didn't. In my old car the burgundy kia spectra she knows of I did but not in my new purple 2015 nissan rogue. Now I'm facing 15 years with this lie. My ex boyfriend best friend which is her current boyfriend told police he's not getting involved and the witnesses it has listed is the officers that came to the scene the detective, and the er doctor she claimed to have gone to. Which anyone can go to the er and say anything and they will document what you are seen for. My friend does it all the time when she wants to be excused from work sadly. I need to know how to beat this. I'm a single mother with 3 kids and I don't have time nor the patience for this.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to present evidence to the court that the vehicle was not the same, that is the first thing. Bring in pictures and ask her to identify the vehicle that hit her. Take pictures of a car that is not your car and also some of your car to show her. Also, you need to attack her credibility based on her story not making sense.
You should have an attorney representing you and even if you cannot afford one you are entitled to a public defender.
It appears you have grounds here to defend your case against her claims based on what you are saying above, you just need to present witnesses or evidence regarding what you are saying above.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.