David Stewart
David Stewart, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
95745447

My husband has a possible stroke and seizure at home, had

Customer Question

My husband has a possible stroke and seizure at home, had been drinking with buddies 20 hours earlier. He has liver disease and a history of seziues he is 55 years old. The PA at the emergency room 1013ed him did not tell the patient or the family members at in the ER. He told the PA he had no thoughts of harming himself or others. They ran blood work no CT scan or MRI. He has a stroke back Oct 2015 that caused the on set of seziues
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I do not understand how they had the right to do that.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: No, nothing, he is an alcoholic but was not intoxicated
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Should the family have been given some kind of form explaining what a 1013 is? I have never heard of this form. My nephew is 2nd on the living will I am 1st. Neither 3 of us were given any paper work. They just came in and took him. We were his advocates
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The ER doc sent him to Peachford and he was out in a unit, No groups were held, they said he was detoxing, but no detox meds given. His history is hemerigic brain bleed 13 months ago, 2 seizures, 1 TIA, this episode from Sunday the 13 of Nov was a possible TIA with a full out seizure. I asked for a CT scan Sunday and again on Monday at Peachford when he was having trouble walking and complained of weekness weakness on his left side. If he had not babbled when he was talking froze and 3 minutes later had a seizure I would have though it was just a seizure. When I called 911 I reported a possible stroke and seizure. When the ems took him out of my house he was still unconscious. I'm not sure how long if he had a TIA it can be seen on a CT scan . A different hospital ran the scan I requested after he was at Peachford. 50 hours or so had passed from the time it occurred and when he was given the CT scan that the original hospital neglected to run.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How can he be sent to on a 1013 at all? And sent on a 1013 without being stabilized with that type medical history, Northside Forsyth has his medical history on file. 6 visits total. once admitted with verasie, he had been drinking then, but he went because he was bleeding.
Expert:  David Stewart replied 15 days ago.

Hello: I am really sorry for your difficulties at the hospital and for your husband's situation. A "1013" is holding a patient for a mental health evaluation. It is possibly from your write up that the medical staff believed he may have tried to harm himself or was unsafe mentally for some reason and needed to hold him for an evaluation. In reference to the living will, if you provided the document to the hospital to prove your situation they would need to keep you updated on the status and reason for the mental health hold. It is unclear from your write up, but do you now want him to be evaluated, or are you saying you want to be informed and have a say in the situation? The issue the medical professionals are dealing with is an individual will liver disease who is still drinking and they need to evaluate his mental condition in addition to his physical condition in order to fully provide treatment. These situations can be very difficult for medical professionals because they do not know all the back history and what has been happening with the person directly before entering the hospital. If you can, I would suggest helping the professionals by providing them with your living will paperwork and getting in the loop on the medical decisions being made so you fully understand what they are doing. I hope this helps you! All the best, David