Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Wow, you are so forward! :) My change of jurisdiction from

Customer Question

Wow, you are so forward! :) My change of jurisdiction from NJ to NY has wreaked some extra havoc
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am in arrears of 1135.59 in NJ which was at the time of the transfer, which I can use some clarification, but......my main concern is that Tom's River Probation told me yesterday that it was terminated (or to be exact: emancipated when my xcase was transferred
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: it is now in NY, was in NJ until this past March
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Perhaps the chance to change jurisdictions back to NJ - at least for support. But main issue is why there is demand for support in NY, if there was no litigation for the court to come to decision...
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 20 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Emancipation happens in NJ now at 19, NY at 21. If your child support collection was sent over to NY, that is the reason NY is trying to collect on the arrears, even if now the child has moved back to NJ if there were funds due from before the move back to NJ, then NY would be seeking to finalize their collection and close the case. If this is in error and they are charging you for months after the move back to NJ, you need to write to NY Child Support enforcement and provide proof of the date of the move back to NJ to show their mistake.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.