Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

How can I file a lawsuit against an ex-roommate that used my

Customer Question

How can I file a lawsuit against an ex-roommate that used my credit cards without authorization, did not pay her share of rent and sold my car and did not even tell me?
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Thank you.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm in California.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I made a police report, but we went back and forth then they decided it was considered a civil case and not criminal "because I knew and shared the same unit with this thief"
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This roommate left me without a place to leave; I could not continue to pay the high rent on my own; she ran my credit cards to exceed their limit in a very short time, financially left me in a bind, because I had to pay her debt, including a loan she got in my name, she sold my car so I was left without it. I concluded she was a con person and a fraud. I tried to get her to make payments, but she refuses. I want to file lawsuit, but can't afford lawyers. I decided I can try to do this by myself.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me how much money did she steal by this action from you?