Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I moved to nj from ga to be with my son and his mother we

Customer Question

I moved to nj from ga to be with my son and his mother we verbally agreed to live together as long as I help with bills. we both decided that we cannot be in a romantic relationship due to our past and agreed that being together is toxic and not a good example for our son. we decided that ill be sleeping on the couch until the second of December but one day she decided that she wanted me out and kicked me out of the house. I then consulted with another lawyer and he said that I have rights as a roommate so I came back and she then called the owner of the multi family home to come and escort me off the property he is a police officer and told me that I had no rights and that I had to leave. I willingly left to keep an argument down. so to recap I paid all of her rent for November and her car payment for November as well then she kicks me out just a few days later and had the owner kick me out after I cam back. I believe my rights were infringed upon and I am seeking damages from the owner of the home because he is a police officer and damages from her. do I have a case?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 19 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 19 days ago.

Were you ever on the lease, did the landlord consent to you living there?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I was never on the lease but he did consent to me living there I had multiple conversations with him while I was there.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
my w4 tax forms from my previous job is for that address and also my bank statements go to that location as well I was there for over 60 days
Expert:  Ray replied 19 days ago.

You certainly can sue the mother for part of the rent that you paid and she kicked you out.Thats separate from whether you have a suit against the landlord.Sounds also like you have a case here against the landlord for failure to give you 30 days written notice as a month to month tenant.You can sue them separately in small claims court where you are located.You are correct that you appear to have month to month tenant rights, you paid the rent here.

Expert:  Ray replied 19 days ago.

Forms to sue here

https://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10151_sc_non_motorveh.pdf

Sorry you are having to deal with all of this.You may also need to file paternity to assert custody and visitation rights to the child as well.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best here.

Expert:  Ray replied 19 days ago.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
thank you sir have a great day
Expert:  Ray replied 19 days ago.

You too hope this all works out for you.