RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Does it matter what class your felony was if you can get

Customer Question

Does it matter what class your felony was if you can get your rights back has anything changed on the laws in the past few years or no
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: New York Class E Grand Larceny
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't understand the question
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i got my hunting license in 96 and my felony was in 2014 if that helps
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

You will lose your gun rights in New York if you are convicted of a felony. State restrictions on the possession, repair, disposal, and carrying of firearms are located at NY Penal Law § 400.00. This statute prohibits New York gun licenses from being granted to anyone who has ever been convicted of a felony or other “serious offense.” This applies regardless of whether the conviction occurred in New York or another jurisdiction. If a person who already has a gun license is convicted of a felony, his or her license will be revoked.

The only way to restore this right is by a pardon, or by a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities or Good Conduct. Firearm rights are effectively restored if restoration language is specifically included in the certificate. However, restoration is not available to those with convictions for Class A-1 and/or violent felonies. While restoration is effective if the language specifically restoring firearm rights is included in the certificate, the person would still have to secure a license to legally possess weapons. The restoration simply lifts the bar disqualifying convicted felons from securing a firearms license.

While voting rights are lost during a felony conviction in NY, they are restored upon completion of any incarceration/parole or probation.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!