LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I got a job at center for disability services as a driver

Customer Question

I got a job at center for disability services as a driver and my first day i worked 14 hours which is a bit much at age 69 so the next dAY I ASK FOR A POSITION AS A SUBSTITUTE driver and was told to sign a paper for request.the next day they sent me home and that was on the 14th of oct this year.I have caleed several times and left messages only to be totally ignored and its been a month and i cannot get anyone to tell me whether or not i am fired or what...they have not returned any of my calls at all...is this retaliation or what and for what?....i have no police record and i am broke as a result of this...can you give me an explanation about this most un pleasant matter
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: this is not about real estate...this is about employment and possible discrimination
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i have prepared a complaint form to send in to the government
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 23 days ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

I think what you are not perhaps getting is that as a substitute you may only get a call once in a while---when they need a substitute. I imagine most of the regular drivers are very hungry for work and you may only rarely may get a call now that you are a sub. I can't explain why they won't return your call, but I suspect it is simply because they will call you when they need you and they don't want to be bothered by your calls asking for work.

If you had been fired, they would have told you I expect. You are not just a sub driver and you will only get a call if they need you as a substitute. I see nothing unusual about this, and there are no facts suggesting that you are being discriminated against, or retaliated against. You simply moved from being a regular drive to being a sub---which they may have very little need for most of the time.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug