Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I live in SC, and my wife and I recently applied jointly,

Customer Question

I live in SC, and my wife and I recently applied jointly, with my brother and sister in-law, to refinance a mortgage on a second-home / vacation home. However, when the bank mailed out the completed loan application for us to sign, they sent the ENTIRE package to my in-laws, which included ALL of mine and my wife's confidential info (DOB's, SSN's, Income's, Debts, Credit Reports, Home Value, Primary Mortgage Balance/Info, Name/Address, etc). They should have 'split' the paperwork, and sent us ours, and my in-laws theirs. To me, that is a MAJOR breech of confidentiality!! Do we have any legal recourse?
Thanks,
Darren
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Darren, good morning. If you applied jointly, then all applicants would need to be stated on the paperwork. The refinance is reviewed by the lender and all the information of the applicants are needed to decide if the refinance should be approved by underwriting. Since you all voluntarily agreed to apply jointly for this, they would not have to provide separate documents since this is one application.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!