Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Family law, Texas, I'm looking to modify an order...custody

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Family law
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm looking to modify an order...custody and child support.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ok
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 22 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us?

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I need to modify my child support order and end it. I've been divorced since 2007 with shared custody (50/50) of our 3 children. Now 2 of them are adults...one is 20 yrs old and has been living with me full time since 5 years ago (I kept paying same amount anyway)...Last December, the youngest one (15 yrs. old) also moved with me full time (still kept paying same child support), leaving the 'middle one' as the only child living 50/50 with both, but in August, she turned 18 and started college (she's living on campus now)...So with 2 of my kids being adults now and the 3rd one living full time with me since almost a year ago, is critical for me to stop "supporting" their mom since no one live with her anymore. I understand I need to modify the custody too because the youngest still a minor.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Since I cant afford an attorney, I want to file the modification myself and I'm looking for help to fill out all the necessary documentation to do so. Also I want to know if there is a way to stop making payments because of the reasons I mentioned. Somebody told me that I can file like a "suspension" petition or something like that where the child support office holds the payments until the order is modified, is that true?
Thank you for your reply.
You can file the motion for modification yourself with a copy of the petition and a letter to child support services asking them to suspend payment pending modification. Here are the forms to modify the relationship and also support and you file them in the court and send a copy to the other parent and a copy to child support office with a letter asking them to stay payments pending the motion hearing.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Where can I get the forms? Did you sent me a link? I don't see any documents attached to your response. Thx.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for your reply>
I do not know what happened to the link I inserted, please copy and paste this link to your browser and you can get to the forms for Texas for modifications: http://texaslawhelp.org/resource/modification-kit
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The letter is something I have to write o there's a format that I need to follow? Besides the letter, how many other forms I need to file? So far I got 'petition to Modify Parent-Child Relationship', also 'Information on Suit Affecting the family relationship'...Thx
The letter has no format you just write that the petition was filed and is attached to the letter and you are asking to suspend payments pending the ruling on your motion.