Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We took our mercedes in to get it fixed its a story of what

Customer Question

My name is***** took our mercedes in to get it fixed its a long story of what they did to it and it still doesnt work. Its been there a month now. We already paid him 2000 2 weeks ago when he said it was ready. I drove it about a mile down the road and it started screwing up again. I turned oit right back around. They have now been working on it and it still doesnt run. I want to go get it tomorrow from them and take it somewhere else. I do not want to pay any additional cost though for the week and a half they tried to refix it. Is that my right? I did not sign anything athourizing any additional work when i took it back the day I picked it up. Thank you
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: In court? No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats about it its more lengthy than that. I am going to take them to small claims court i just do not want to be charged any additional funds when i get it tomorrow
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the mechanic has been given a chance to repair and is not able to do so, then you have the right to get your car without paying anything more than you already paid and take it elsewhere. If you find out the work the mechanic did previously was improper and it costs you more then it is possible to sue the first mechanic for those costs. However, if the first mechanic's work was proper and it simply did not work to fix the problem, the first mechanic would not be liable for any other repairs.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you. I am absolutely taking them to small claims court. Any advise for doing that?
Thank you for your reply.
Until you know for certain that what they did is negligent, you cannot say "I am absolutely taking them to small claims court." Before you do anything you need to get another mechanic to examine the work to see if they did the work they charged you for correctly. If they did the work correctly, but it simply did not work to fix the issue, then they may not be liable to you as long as the work was reasonable based on the symptoms your car was showing. That is why you need to get it to another mechanic first and let them figure out what is wrong and make the determination if the first mechanic was reasonable in what they did and if they did the work right.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I was going to do that. Its been one thing after another for a month now. That car ran perfectly when we took it in. It just had a simple oil leak. Now they replace the rear main seal, they replaced as turbo gassket which blew the day i picked it up. The mechanic actullay told me they "ni**er rigged that gasket" Now they say the turbo is shot. Its because of that gasket blowing that the turbo was ruined. They also replaced the engine cooler. By the way all without calling and getting our approval or us siging an authorization for the work before they did it.
Thank you for your reply.
If there is some proof that the mechanic's work was negligent the you can sue, but again, get it to another mechanic first and then you can sue if that new mechanic can testify that the first mechanic was negligent.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok thank you i will
Thank you for your reply.