Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son is 22 and he was abused when he was a child by a

Customer Question

My son is 22 and he was abused when he was a child by a stepparent. he finally told me about 2 years ago and he is dealing with anxiety and PTSD from this. What are his legal rights?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: It happened in Ohio but he no longer lives there
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: he was too scared to
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
He has the right to sue the step parent for the abuse and seek money damages. AS he is only 22 he is still within the 12 year statute of limitations which began to run when he turned 18. So at this point I would suggest he get an attorney and sue the step parent for money damages if the step parent has any assets (money or property) that he can collect a money judgment from.
You can also encourage him to file a criminal complaint with the police for the sexual abuse and the police can pursue criminal charges through the DA's office.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It wasn't sexual abuse, physical abuse
Thank you for your reply.
Sorry for the miscommunication, but his rights to sue are still the same as the statute of limitations to sue begins when he turned 18. The rights he has are still the same for civil suit, but criminal charges would not be available if it was not sexual abuse.