Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Can a condo assoc charge guests of members for attending

Customer Question

Can a condo assoc charge guests of members for attending functions at the clubhouse?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The board plans to change rules & regs
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They don't plan to charge for every situation. It's mostly for a bridge group that plays weekly.
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the Bylaws or CCRs or any existing rules don't specifically allow this, or prohibit owners from bringing guests to functions, then the Board would have to put this to a vote of the membership and see if the required percentage of owners would vote in favor of amending the Bylaws or rules to allow the Board to impose fees for having guests attend.

.

So yes, they can do so, but not before the membership votes and approves any such new rule.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

If not, if you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks