Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I am in the process of starting a retail business in my

Customer Question

I am in the process of starting a retail business in my area. I am having trouble deciding on a name for the store, but really need to file for my LLC and sales tax license so I can set up accounts with wholesalers and get pricing on all my inventory. My question is, can I set up the business with something like S&W Enterprises, but have a different name on the store front once I figure out what I want it to be?
JA: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?
Customer: It will be registered in Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I have not filed or reported anything at this time, as I have been trying to finalize my business plan, and am stuck as far as getting pricing from suppliers because I don't have a sales tax id.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that's all.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Yes, you can have an LLC or corporation with an assumed name, in additon to the official name (which must be registered with the state).

So the official can be S&W Enterprises LLC, but the store name is "International Widgets".

Here is a link to the Assumed name Form and instructions:

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/forms/503_boc.pdf

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!