Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My mother is an 89 year old dementia patient. I've been

Customer Question

Hi, My mother is an 89 year old dementia patient. I've been caring for her at home for the last 3 years. It's time for us to start to spend down her money in advance of a nursing home placement. I'm trying to make sure we spend her money the right way and would like to know what we're allowed to spend it on? There's not a lot, about 45K. Thanks
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The house is in an irrevocable trust and she receives 6 hours help a week from Springwell. They provide assistance with showers, clean up a little. Is that what you mean by filed or reported?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does she have any outstanding debts?

.

How about home improvements? upgrades to things like bath, kitchen?

.

Does she have a vehicle that is used to transport her to and from appointments?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No outstanding debts.
She had the house sided and new windows about two years ago.
No car as I drive her to all her appointments
Expert:  Barrister replied 23 days ago.

Ok, if you want to spend down that money and end up benefiting from it rather than just spending it on care, you can do things like purchase household goods like furniture, appliances, electronics, etc. that she might use in the home as they are exempt.

.

You could pay for any home improvements that may help like bathroom remodels to make it more accessible, new roof, plumbing repairs or upgrades, insulation, landscaping, etc. as these are all allowable expenses.

.

Prepaid funeral expenses are also allowable..

.

So in between the home improvements and upgrades, prepaid funeral, and new furnishings for the home, that should pretty well spend that money down..

.

.

thanks

Expert:  Barrister replied 23 days ago.

Hello again,

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

If not, if you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks