Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Are statements made on messenger legal proof in the state of

Customer Question

Are statements made on messenger legal proof in the state of Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. Several years ago I was divorced and gave the house to my husband, it was his when we married. I moved back in with him and he needed a new roof,soffit, facia guttering and wanted me to pay for it. I told him I would only do it if my name stayed on the quick claim deed.we went to the court house to make sure his family couldn't take it away from me since it hadn't been removed yet. Now he wants my name off and I have an admission on messanger that he said it.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He also said on messanger that he would pay me for his half of the divorce and bankruptcy. I think he may have forged my name on a car title
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 19 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Any statement made by an adverse party in a court case can be entered into evidence against that party. Statements made on Messenger or texting are great for this purpose, because you've got what the other person said in writing, so there's no question. You can use it as evidence that you had an agreement. If he admits forging your name on the car's title, you can also use that.

It helps to download the messages and print them out instead of counting on your phone to provide them. This is both because sometimes things go wrong with technology, and because the judge might want to review the messages after court - you don't want to have to hand over your phone for a few days. You will have to swear under oath that the records you're admitting are a true and accurate representation of the statements made and that you printed them out as they were when you received them.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 18 days ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?