Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I live in a hud housing apartment where tenants have to pay

Customer Question

i live in a hud housing apartment where tenants have to pay to have covered parking. i recently moved to a larger space because i have a large pickup. the tenant that parks next to me says i have to park as far to one side , so he can park his motor chair in part of my space which is next to his parking space. my question is this. the apartment manager got involved in this and seemed to think that i should let them use part of space. DO I HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE? OR SHOULD I GIVE IN AND IF SO, DO I HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK THIS PERSON TO PAY ME? MY VEHICLE IS A REGULAR SIZE PICKUP AND HIS SPACE IS FOR A TOYOTA CAR. I CHOSE THIS SPACE BECAUSE IT IS A LARGER SPACE THAT IS BETTER FOR THE SIZE OF MY VEHICLE? THANK YOU I
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Expert:  Barrister replied 17 days ago.

If you are renting a designated spot, then you have zero legal obligation to share it with anyone, regardless of any disability that the other person may have. When you rented the spot, you entered into a contract for sole use and possession of a geographically specific plot of land. So that is what you get...use of the entire parking space.

.

If the property manager wants to give the other person use of part of another space, then they should make that part of any lease contract and offer a reduced price since the tenant won't be able to use the entire space. Or they should transfer the other person to a larger space that will better accommodate them.

.

So bot***** *****ne is you don't have to let them use any part of your space if you don't want to.

.

.

thanks