LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

5 months ago my wife and I flew to Vegas for a couple of

Customer Question

5 months ago my wife and I flew to Vegas for a couple of days and came back with a timeshare we do not want. can I stop paying and foreclose ?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 25 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

While you can certainly stop paying, the chances that the lender will foreclose is very small---because in this day an age timeshares are for the most part financial holes that you throw money at. No one wants them except for first time naive buyers.

If you are willing to file for bankruptcy, you can discharge the debt. Otherwise you are pretty much stuck with it. So, try and make use of it, or rent it out for as much as you can.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug