Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Cost of probate on 1100000 most in savings, chattanooga tn

Customer Question

cost of probate on(###) ###-#### most in savings
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: chattanooga tn hamilton cnty
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Can you please clarify the situation? What has happened and what are you asking?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
aunt died (###) ###-#### mostly cash left what and how long would this take to probateeeeeee
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
want rough answer
Expert:  Ely replied 20 days ago.
Thank you. I assume that the cash is in a bank account.
Then probate has to be filed.
When someone passes away, then their estate has to be distributed. The problem is that without probate - with assets such as titled property or bank accounts (those that do not have a pay on death clause) - this is hard to do. This is because you cannot switch over the assets without an order from the probate court, and simply a Certificate of Death will not do. A Certificate of Death simply states that someone has passed on, but does not give you the right to really do anything in the deceased's name.
So one files probate. Once probate is filed, the Executor of the estate gets something called a Letter of Testament/Administration (hereinafter "Letter"). This Letter will allow the Executor to switch over the assets from the deceased individual to whoever will own the property. It is like a "Power of Attorney," but from the Court. Without that Letter, there is no way to transfer titled property and switch the assets into the names of the beneficiaries.
If there was a Will, the beneficiaries are decided per the Will. If there was no will, the beneficiaries are decided by default succession law of the state.
If you need intructions on how to begin the probate process, reply and let me know.
The process normally takes about 4-6 months if the matter is fairly straightforward, but can take longer.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
consider it all needing probate
Expert:  Ely replied 20 days ago.
Did you see my answer above? If not, I can re-post. Let me know.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 20 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
i an looking for a rough idea on the apx cost pro
Expert:  Ely replied 19 days ago.
Ah, okay. Uncontested probate where everyone is on board - about $1,500 to $2,500.
A contested probate where the beneficiaries are fighting over everything - this can be $5,000 to $10,000 or more.